California Legislature Votes to Make Cannabis Party Buses Illegal
Since February of this year, the California Senate had pending legislation to put greater restrictions on cannabis party buses. California Senate Bill 625 was a fair bill that put in place common-sense policies to protect tour operators, drivers, customers, and minors. On September 5, SB-625 was made inactive.
The objection to SB-625 was on false grounds that the driver cannot be effectively protected from the intoxicating effects second-hand cannabis smoke and would experience a “contact high”. Under SB-625, tour operators were required to have a division between the driver and passenger compartments with separate ventilation to ensure the cannabis smoke and vapors were ventilated out of the vehicle and the driver was effectively separated from second-hand smoke. With this in place, there is no possibility of a “contact high” impairing the driver, per the NIH and NIDA findings related to experiencing intoxication from second-hand cannabis smoke.
Instead of passing vetted legislation in collaboration with industry, the assembly quickly banned cannabis on party buses. With California set to become one of the worlds’ largest cannabis tourism markets, the legislature voted to kill the industry instead. This catastrophically or mostly damages the cannabis tourism operators who made a legal investment in a responsible business venture in accordance with Prop 64. Instead of permitting educational and safe cannabis experiences for residents and tourists alike, it leaves Californians without the opportunity to hire a designated driver when consuming cannabis.
- Amendment to AB 1810:http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB1810
- SB-625: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200SB625
- NIH/NIDA findings on the psychoactive effects of second-hand cannabis smoke:
- LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-09-12/ban-marijuana-charter-party-buses-california
- Celeb Stoner: https://www.celebstoner.com/news/marijuana-news/2019/09/16/cannabis-tour-buses-california/
- Candid Chronicle (blog written by the author of this release):